Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Completely Biased Review of Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference 2011, part 2.


Are you ready to hear some more reasons why Blue Ridge was so outstanding this year? Let’s get to it.

6.  Ridgecrest’s campus. Now with their construction completed, you can get from the wonderful accommodations at Mt. Laurel all the way to the dining hall on level surfaces with elevator rides in between.  While I’m all for exercise, those of us with bad knees sure did appreciate the improved routes from place to place. No more excuses of “there are too many hills.”

7.  Downtime at the right time.  While you may not initially think that downtime is important at a conference, once you’re there, you realize you need a little time to absorb all that’s happening.  And, since much of the allotted downtime happens in the evenings, there are wonderful opportunities to sit with others, compare notes, drink Starbucks coffee and enjoy conversations with other conferees and the faculty in a relaxed atmosphere.  Your dilemma of where to sit is between the rocking chairs or sofas.  Tough call.

8.  Reasonably priced critiques available.  This is huge.  If you pay someone to critique your manuscript, screen play or magazine articles, you cannot find prices with so much value as you can at Blue Ridge.  The faculty offers their services for a reasonable $30. Outside of Blue Ridge, you could get into the hundreds of dollars for the first 40 pages of your novel. And, you automatically get an appointment with that faculty member to go over your critique.  What a value and what a service!

9.  Contests.  How best to learn if your writing is hitting the mark than by winning a contest?  There are so many categories to enter and the judging is by qualified, professional authors.  Winning a Blue Ridge contest is a great addition to your professional resume.  And the awards ceremony is stellar.

10.  Faculty talent show. Need I say more?  To get to sing along with and laugh at, I mean, with the faculty?  Besides the award banquet, the talent show is a high light of Blue Ridge. 


So, are you feeling the love?  Once you go, you understand how special a place Blue Ridge is.  MARK YOUR CALENDER NOW! Next year the conference dates are May 20 -24, 2012. Go to Blue Ridge and learn more and sign up.  Or save your pennies and dimes.  Can’t wait to see you there.

Grace and peace,

Mary


10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, thank you for the articles on Blue Ridge! I have not had the opportunity to visit there yet, but I've heard a lot about it through SBC/IMB. As a missionary, nurse and wanna-be author (I have authored many poems and short stories, however), I hope that I can attend next year's conference....I absolutely WILL be saving my pennies. Your articles have made me want to go even more than before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, sister! I LOVE BRMCWC! Of course, I may be just a little biased, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for next year!!! I'm saving up too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lily Sue, Save your pennies and apply for a scholarship as well. I want to meet you there next year! I bet you have some great stories to tell being a missionary. Keep writing!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you can be biased Vonda!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristi, you keep writing and learning from Edie and save your pennies too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was my first year at BRMCWC and I had a wonderful time. I'm not sure what I liked best. Meeting so many authors of all different genres, attending lots of classes taught by some of the best, learning from editors and agents as to where to go from here. All of it was great. And enjoying coffee and fellowship with everyone was terrific.

    I'll definitely head back next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete