Saturday, September 10, 2011

Weekend Worship—Deep Roots

A man will not be established by wickedness, but the root of the righteous will not be moved. Proverbs 12:3

Last weekend our family traveled to Mississippi. For those of you living in Mississippi or Louisiana, you know that the Labor Day Holidays were spent watching Tropical Storm Lee come onshore.

We were fortunate enough to be in Jackson, so all we experienced was a soggy weekend. It began raining thirty minutes after we arrived and didn’t end until after we left. The drive back to South Carolina wasn’t much fun, either.

Driving back along the interstate I couldn’t help but notice numerous trees down on the sides of the road. Although they were huge trees, it was obvious the damage hadn’t come from high winds. But there were enough toppled to make me curious about the cause.

As I considered the soggy chaos, I realized the prolonged soaking rain had been the culprit. These particular trees, although still attached to seemingly large root-balls, hadn’t developed the extended root system necessary to anchor them in near flood conditions. Simply put, the rain had loosened the dirt, and without the root depth to anchor them, they’d fallen to their deaths.

Studying the unfolding scene outside the car window led me to wonder about my own root system. These tall trees had appeared strong and stable, but they lacked the strength to survive when calamity struck. I had become confident in my own ability to cope as of late, but truthfully, would I be able to weather disaster in my own life if it appeared?

God used this scene to remind me that only when I dig deep into a relationship with God will I find the strong foundation necessary to weather the inevitable storms of life. So how deep are your roots? Join me as I take time and dig in, anchoring myself to the only one able to provide security.

2 comments:

  1. How true. If we're not rooted in a strong foundation e'll topple when the storms of life come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to be challenged to take an honest look at our "root system." Thanks for a profound article which forced me to take a look within myself, Edie!

    ReplyDelete