Sunday, October 21, 2012

Weekend Worship—Does How I Spend My Time Truly Reflect What I View as Important?


A time to give birth and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. Ecclesiastes 3:2

I love exploring old cemeteries
This weekend we spent time exploring old churchyards, and the cemeteries that populate them, in downtown Charleston, South Carolina. I was fascinated with the bits and pieces of life hinted at on the carved tombstones. I love history, but this went even deeper.

It made me consider the hectic pace of life, and the things I might be missing.

As we wandered through these memorial grounds, I wanted to know why families chose the markers they did. Some were plain, some ornate, others almost works of art. Was the tombstone chosen based on how much those left behind had to spend, or was it some commentary on how well the deceased had been loved? Truthfully, it was probably a multiple of factors, but I found myself oddly comforted as I walked through these peaceful places.

I was reminded of how the things I find so important on a day-to-day basis lose relevance in the context of eternity. The petty worries and concerns settle into the right perspective when I view them from God’s viewpoint.

They remind me to treasure the relationships I have now
Even more than that, this walk through time reminded me of how briefly we sometimes have those we love. It was a gentle reminder to treasure the relationships I’ve been so blessed with. So as I begin a new week, I’m choosing to reprioritize my time, placing less emphasis on things, and more on those who are truly important to me.

Here are a few more photos I took. As you take a virtual stroll through these weathered stone monuments, I invite you to reconsider your own priorities.





















9 comments:

  1. I love to explore old cemeteries. And you're right that they remind us of what's important. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos, Edie! What a great way to look at cemeteries. I have a new perspective. Thanks! And so true; we don't know how limited our time is and need to keep Jesus and people a priority. Relationship is most important. So easy to forget that sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walking through cemeteries as well. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old cemetaries are beautiful. Thanks for the thoughts. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old cemetaries are beautiful. Thanks for the thoughts. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the photos and the thoughts
    Thanks for sharing both!
    Blessings,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a child, I loved to visit cemetaries with my Mother. She made them walks into history as we discussed the lives and times of the people whose stones we saw. I still love them; thank you for giving me a new perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great weekend, Edie. Your pictures are great. I especially like how the trees surround the gravestones. And I appreciate your reflections on how life is fleeting and the need to re-examine our priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos, Edie. I enjoy (and need) as many posts as I can read about prioritizing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete