Sunday, November 22, 2015

We're Not Meant to do this Writing Thing Alone

by Brenda McGraw @BrendaMMcGraw

Alone again, me and my words.

When was the last time you felt like you were on your own with no one by your side or encouraging you?

Writing is sometimes a lonely calling. 


We touch the keyboard and are supposed to type words and make them jump off the page and touch the hearts and lives of others.

Day after day we think thoughts and the thoughts are supposed to turn to stories of hope and inspiration.


Unless you are writer it is hard to understand what really goes into writing a blog, a book or an article. Your spouse doesn’t really get it. Your friends are pulling for you, but many with a jealous tinge of “I wish I could do that.” Your brothers and sisters are proud, but think it’s just a hobby. Your young children don’t really care; they just want mom or dad to pay them some attention.

What do I mean when I say, “You are not meant to do this alone”?  Because it sure feels like we are all alone sometimes.

The cross seems heavy to bear; it did for Jesus, too. It was so heavy that the Roman soldiers called a man out of the crowd to help him carry it. If Jesus needed help during despairing times, so do we. Look around. We believers are supposed to pray and help carry the burdens of those we love. Jesus carried our burdens all the way to the cross at Calvary.

Again I say look around. There are plenty of other writers who need an encouraging glance their way, a Facebook “Like” or “Share”, or they need to be asked what you can do to help them. As a Christian writer, we are in this together, not to go it alone. We may use different genres, but we are all carrying the same message to the world through our words.

“Lean on me” is the title of a song by Kirk Franklin. Who are you leaning on? Who are you allowing to lean on you?

When I was called to write 13 years ago I knew nothing about the art of words. I needed a mentor and had no one. My dreams died temporarily, but were resurrected again 10 years later when I heard about an online writing course and signed up. I can’t say that I found a mentor, but I did find a lot of encouragement. We need to lean on, help and support each other. It’s not about us individually; it’s all about the Lord.

You are not meant to do this all alone. Ask God to lead you. We have heard many times how God knows everyone and He can arrange a divine appointment for you to meet someone who will help you take your writing to the next level. This is true. We need to make an effort to go to conferences, join writing communities and take courses. God has a plan. Trust Him. He Himself will never leave you.

“But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:8-10

My challenge to you is, to find one person this week whom you can offer to help with their writing or platform. God will reward you.


Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!

TWEETABLE

Brenda McGraw is an author and speaker who reveals how to discover joy beyond the clutter of life. She draws from her own life experiences in the #1 Amazon Best seller, “Joy Beyond, 28 Days to Finding Joy Beyond the Clutter of Life”. She is the founder of Ask God Today Ministries where she has a team of writers sharing truth and hope with others. 

Brenda currently lives in South Carolina with her husband, Jeff and three of their five children. She is a survivor of breast cancer and a heart attack.. Despite the challenges she has endured, Brenda found peace through her relationship with Jesus Christ. 

You can connect with Brenda at:

6 comments:

  1. I am really stuck right now and at a wall. I needed this message. I need a mentor who can encourage and help me make deadlines for myself. Great thoughts, thnks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin. I would love to talk sometime. Maybe we can brainstorm together. If you would like send me an email or FB msg. Thx for your comment. Have a great day. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, we have much in common: survivor of a heart attack, cancer, and writer. :) God has a job for us to do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, yes He does. Survivor is the word here. Keep on keeping on. Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day. Brenda

      Delete
  4. This has been my life on so many fronts in regards to my writing. Five years ago the Lord began to transition me from my speaking, teaching, performance storytelling to step fully into full time writing and publishing--knowing next to nothing. There had been so many changes in the industry since I had first tried to take my years of manuscripts to print publishing. As I've worked though these years of learning, seeking mentors and a "tribe", I had an epiphany at the writer's conference I went to this past summer: I am to BECOME the mentor I want in my life for others. That's why I've been learning so much in a place of struggle and solitary. I truly know how others with potential feel--and I can speak to their needs now, with credibility and confidence. And, hopefully, I'll be of more use in the world of Writing His Answer, than my own words--but have a part in bringing the words of others to a readership, too. Looking to 2016 as a time to build this community.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Kathy. I too have found myself loving on and helping other writers. I wish I had had a mentor and would still love that. It is such a blessing seeing others grow in their calling. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week. Brenda

      Delete