Saturday, February 13, 2016

Failure and Success

by Beth Vogt @BethVogt

For too long I believed failure was only negative — something to be avoided at all costs.

Now I’m more accepting of failure. It may take me down for awhile, but it doesn’t defeat me or define me.

Don’t get me wrong: I like success just as much as anyone else. Bring it on! But I know  to achieve success, both personally and professionally, I have to take risks. I have to try new things, realizing that my efforts may or may not work. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said, “Won’t know if it’ll work until we try it.” (Usually I’m discussing a book marketing idea.)

I’m getting more and more comfortable outside the safe zone. That’s where the fun happens—both failures and successes. That’s where new ideas are birthed and where I grow most as a person. Yes, sometimes an idea bombs. But that’s okay. A failed attempt doesn’t mean I’m a failure. It just means I get another chance to try something else—I get another chance to succeed!

In Your Words: How do you feel about failure and playing it safe? What’s been your most recent failure on the way to success?

TWEETABLE
Failure, the unexpected path to success - thoughts from @BethVogt on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

A failed attempt doesn’t mean I’m a failure - wisdom from author @BethVogt (Click to Tweet)

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.”

A nonfiction writer and editor who said she’d never write fiction, Beth is now a novelist with Howard Books. She enjoys writing inspirational contemporary romance because she believes there’s more to happily-ever-after than the fairy tales tell us. Connect with Beth on her website, Twitter, Facebook, or check out her blog on quotes, In Others’ Words.

14 comments:

  1. Beth, Great post. I began writing 18 months ago. The best advice I received from other writers; expect rejection. At the 2015 Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference I pitched my first book. After two no's and a "Send me the proposal." I was not devastated because I expected it. I took all the critiques to heart, now I have a book contract. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your book contract! (And sorry for the delayed response -- I am in DC for my daughter's volleyball tournament.)

      Delete
  2. I take a risk with every book I start. During the planning stage I think there is no way I can do this. That feeling last about halfway through the book. Then as it comes together, I'm glad I risked failure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love how you applied this to writing, Pat. So, so true.

      Delete
  3. Great advice. I take a risk with my writing. But then I have to remember that life itself is a risk and I can depend on the Lord Jesus to guide my way. Thanks again for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Marjorie,
      Thank you for the reminder to rely on our faith as we risk.

      Delete
  4. I received a rejection this past week from the Upper Room devotion. After over a year, my devotion had been eliminated in the final round. Since this was the first devotion I submitted to the UR, I felt good knowing that it got that far and that the UR encouraged me to submit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheryl: Congratulations on getting so far in the process with Upper Room! That is fantastic! Keep trying -- I'm certain you will succeed!

      Delete
  5. Beth, great post. I heard many years ago, I can't remember where, that we learn more from our failures than we do from our successes. As my friend, Marge Hill, said above, "I can depend on the Lord Jesus to guide my way." I'm trusting Him in this writing journey, failures and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Debra: It's true that we learn more from our failures than our successes ... and the successes are all the sweeter in the long run, right?

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post. Especially the line "A failed attempt doesn’t mean I’m a failure. It just means I get another chance to try something else—I get another chance to succeed!" In my past I have held 47 different jobs, I received my Realtor Licence, Barbers License, and was a Para-educator. I was also a financial counselor and a prayer counselor and went to school for business courses and Writing School. I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. Why you might ask? Well because I am bi-polar my moods change and most jobs can't deal with that. But it isn't all the fault of my illness. some of it is that I love change. And with change of course comes failure. But God has taught me one thing and that is if we never fail it is because we aren't trying anything new. Your post hit right on the money for me. Great job. I look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol: Honesty is one of my greatest values and I so appreciated your honesty today -- well, yesterday. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm in DC for my daughter's volleyball tourney. I love how you have taken what some would see as a weakness and turned it into something positive: I LOVE CHANGE. Brava!

      Delete
  7. Beth, What a terrific reminder that the writing life is filled with risk and rewards. The path for success isn't just a straight line. God honors faithfulness and persistence and commitment to learning the craft of writing. Well-done.

    Terry
    The Writing Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The path to success isn't just a straight line." So well said, Terry!

      Delete