Monday, November 13, 2017

5 Last Minute Blog Post Ideas

Don't ever get caught without a blog post idea again.
by Edie Melson @EdieMelson


We’ve all done it. Waited until the last minute and we’re rushing to come up with a blog post idea, write it, and get it up. Sometimes it’s because life has gotten in the way, sometimes it’s just because we haven’t planned well.

The reason why we’re scrambling isn’t as important as what to do when it happens. Now is definitely not the time to beat ourselves up or panic. Instead, here is my list when I need a blog post fast.

5 Last Minute Blog Post Ideas
1. Reuse an old post. Yes, we can do that. As a matter of fact we should do that. We put a lot of work into our blog posts and it’s a shame to only use them once. BUT there are some tips for how to reuse a post correctly.
  • Don’t announce that this is an old post you’re reusing. Ninety-nine percent of those who read the post either won’t have read it before or they won’t remember it. If you announce it’s old, they’ll assume they’ve read it and miss something they’d otherwise enjoy.
  • Choose a previous post that is at least a year old. The further back in time, the better. This will ensure that your readers won’t notice it’s old.
  • Don’t use the repost button. Instead copy the text and paste it into a new blog post window.
  • Change the title. You don’t have to change it a lot, but a little change will help avoid the search engine plagiarism issue. (Google and other search engines penalize sites that frequently repost content. Even if it’s our own content, Google labels it plagiarism.)
  • Change the featured image. You should be embedding the blog post title in your featured image to help with click-throughs on social media. Changing the featured image will keep your content fresh.
  • Check the content. Search for things that will clue the reader into the fact that it’s an old post (like mentioning a date). 

2. Post a meme and a short thought. If you’re looking for a last minute post, a meme can be the best idea. If you want to know how to add text to images here are two posts that will help:

3. Borrow from a friend. I have banded together with several friends and we have a standing arrangement. If any of us end up with a last minute blank spot, we can copy and paste a blog post from each other. Take time now and find a couple of friends and make your own arrangement. Believe me, this has saved my bacon more than once!

4. Come up with a top 10 list. Pick a subject and make a list. It can be helpful, funny, thoughtful, anything you want. Trust me, people love lists.

5. Steal an idea. No, not literally. I pay attention to the blog posts that come into my inbox and look for ways I can take a title and apply it differently. For instance, I once saw a post titled, 10 Tips to Simplify Your Life. I turned that into 10 Tips to Simplify Your WRITING Life. 

Now I'd love to know what you'd add to the list. What do you do when you're scrambling for a post idea? Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section below.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. hope you will share more post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I post with Edie every 2nd Tuesday of the month. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making me feel good about my "cheating" Some of my old posts when I started had very few readers, not because they were bad, but because I did not have a base of readers. Over a period of six years I have redone many of my old posts and made them better posts, some I changed the name on. some I didn't, but I have found sometimes a better title will generate a lot more hits. My dilemma and question is should I remove the old post entirely? I have left them so far so I can see how much my posts have improved over time. I was sort of troubled by the ethics of cutting and pasting, is it better to do it with a complete update?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edie, I immediately used your idea of re-posting to give new life to my oldest post. Very few people had read it. Thanks to a new title and a different image, more people are reading it now. Thanks for the great and timely advice.

    ReplyDelete